At the Fellsman we take your personal data very seriously. We understand how important your privacy is and we are committed to protecting it and ensuring you understand how we collect, store and use the data you entrust to us.
Our approach is that we keep your data private: we use it only in so much as it allows the event to run efficiently and more importantly safely. We only give access to those who need it to ensure your safety, and we destroy anything we don’t need as soon as we can (whilst complying with legality). In fact we’ve always done this, it’s just now we have to formally comply with GDPR legislation to do what we have always done.
PO Box 30
The Fellsman, is organised by the Keighley Scout Service Network under the leadership of the Fellsman Committee.
The Fellsman’s declared basis for processing personal data, as defined in GDPR, is Legitimate Interest. The Fellsman is organising an event which you have entered or wish to enter, so The Fellsman has Legitimate Interest in processing your data, which you supply, to put on that event.
1. What personal data do we collect?
The personal data we collect from you directly can include your name, email address, mobile and landline telephone number, date of birth, address, gender, relevant medical information and emergency contact details (name of contact, address and telephone number). We also collect details on your scout affiliation if you are a member of the Scout Association. The online form plug-in that we use also captures IP addresses.
2. When do we collect your personal data?
- When you submit an online entry form to the event;
- When you contact us using the online contact form, via the event email address or via the postal address;
- When you engage with us on social media (by mentioning/tagging us or by contacting us directly).
- When you order items from the Online Shop using the PayPal portal.
When you pay for your entry or buy anything from the online shop your card details are protected by the PayPal portal that we use. The Fellsman never sees or handles your card details, we only receive confirmation from PayPal that monies have been paid for given items.
3. How do we use your personal data and what are our legal justifications for doing so?
The Fellsman will use your data to:
Throughout the year:
- Manage queries and correspondence received through the Contact Us form or directly addressed to the Fellsman email account.
- Manage purchases made through the Online Shop, including any issues or complaints arising from such purchases.
Before the event:
- Manage your entry to the event and to email you with any queries arising from your entry, e.g. in the case of required missing information.
- To contact you by email and/or by phone in the unlikely event of The Fellsman having to cancel the event.
- If you advise us of a medical condition you think we should be aware of, it will be included on a list provided to our mobile medical emergency team for their use, if necessary, over the event weekend.
- If you are a trophy winner on the previous year’s event we will contact you to arrange or confirm its return to the upcoming event for presentation.
During the event:
- To manage the event over event weekend.
- To ensure that whilst on the Fellsman event our staff have the necessary information to be able to manage your care and safety, both during normal operations and in the event of a medical incident arising from your participation.
- To contact the person you nominate as your emergency contact. This would only be done in the unlikely situation of something untoward happening to you on the event that would require Fellsman officials to get in touch with that emergency contact.
After the event:
- To produce a certificate for every starter and post it, along with your tally, to the address you provided, after the event.
- To produce lists of individual finishers, retirees, and trophy winners. These will be published on the website.
- To advise the press of the results of the event if requested.
- To contact you after event to arrange the return of lost property.
- To respond to any queries, issues, feedback or complaints arising from the event.
We rely on our contractual arrangements with you as the lawful basis on which we collect and process your personal data when you make an order for products and services. Alternatively, in some cases, we rely on our legitimate interests as a business (for example, to troubleshoot customer issues). Where we rely on our legitimate interests, we will always make sure that we balance these interests against your rights.
4. Who do we share your personal data with?
The Fellsman stores and uses your details purely for the administration and operation of the event. Within the Fellsman we share data only in ways that permits the safe and effective running of the event. Specifically:
- your data is only accessible in full to the Data Protection Officer;
- limited data required for entry registration (including presence of medical information but no specific details) and response to emailed queries is shared with the Entries Secretary;
- First name, last name, assigned entrant number, gender and a checkbox identifying that medical information is available for an entrant is shared with the Fellsman officials around the route on the weekend of the event for purposes of progress tracking and incident management;
Certain details are passed on to a limited number of trusted third parties purely for the operation and administration of the event. Currently this is limited to:
- FellTrack (https://felltrack.com), to provide online tracking for the event. First name, last name and entrant number only are supplied.
- The medical team, who provide emergency medical cover for the duration of the event. A printed list of medical conditions identified by entrant number only are provided to key medical personnel in a sealed envelope. The envelope is only accessed should an issue with the entrant be identified.
5. What data can be viewed publically?
Limited data is available to be viewed publically during or following an event (all-year round)
- During the event your name and entrant number will be visible online on FellTrack’s website so that your friends and family can watch your progress around the route.
- Following completion of an event lists of individual finishers, retirements and trophy winners will be published on the Fellsman website. Lists will comprise your finishing position, first and last names, entrant number and net time. If an entrant has also entered as part of a team, team name will also be shown.
- If you are a Scout and you win one of the Scout trophies the Group/Unit/District or equivalent to which you belong will be published.
- If you are a trophy winner of the County Commissioner’s Tankard, Great Knoutberry Trophy, Old Git’s Award or Lumbutt’s Mill Team Trophy this will identify that you fall in the qualifying age range, e.g. 50+
- If you are a winner of a team trophy, your team name, team members’ names and team aggregate time will be published.
6. Your rights
You have a number of rights relating to your personal information and what happens to it. You are entitled to:
- have your data processed in a fair, lawful and transparent way;
- access personal data we hold about you;
- require us to correct any mistakes in your personal data;
- require us to delete personal data concerning you in certain situations where there is no good reason for us to continue to process it;
- request that we transfer your personal data to you or another service provider in a simple, structured format;
- object at any time to processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes;
- object to automated decision making which produces legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affects you;
- object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal data; and
- otherwise restrict or temporarily stop our processing of your personal data in certain circumstances.
You can read more about your rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, in the Guidance from the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public. You also have the right to complain about our use of personal data to the ICO. You can do these by contacting the ICO via their website https://ico.org.uk/concerns or by calling 0303 123 1113.
If you would like to speak to us in relation to any of your rights, please contact us at email@example.com
7. Changing your preferences
In the majority of cases we have no reason to contact you directly unless we need to query information you have submitted on your entry form or are replying to a direct query from you. We do not maintain a mailing list, however in certain circumstances where we need to impart information to all entrants (such as unexpected cancellation of the event) we may compile a list of email addresses from the year’s entry list to send a mass email from our firstname.lastname@example.org account. This email list is not retained after the administrative close of the year’s event (31st July)
If you would prefer not to be included in such emails please email us using the email@example.com email address.
We want to ensure that all the information we have about our customers is factually correct and up to date. If you find that the personal data we have about you is inaccurate or needs updating (for instance, you may have changed your name or address) then please contact us so that we can correct it.
8. Security and retention of your personal data
Security of your personal data
We take the security of your personal data very seriously. We protect your data by using encryption techniques and we use other safeguards such as password protection. This means that your data is protected and only accessible by Fellsman officials who need it to carry out their job responsibilities. Physical access to electronic data is strictly limited to the homes of the Data Protection Officer and Entries Secretary.
We can’t guarantee the security of the Internet but the Fellsman website makes use of secure server software (SSL) which is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure online transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.
Retention of your personal data
- Immediately following the event any hard copies of data subsets will be collected and destroyed by the Data Protection Officer
- Following the administrative close of the year’s event (31st July) the active entry data for the event will be archived in an electronic password-protected encrypted form for 5 years prior to secure destruction. Access to this data will be limited solely to the Data Protection Officer and will be maintained offline on a secure, encrypted hard drive.
- Signed entrant waivers containing name and entrant number will be retained by the Data Protection Officer for a period of 5 years. Following this period the waivers will be securely destroyed.
- Limited data concerning name, entrant number, finishing/retirement information and trophy winner information will be maintained in perpetuity for the purposes of maintaining the online Fellsman results pages which constitute the historic records of the event. If you would prefer your name did not appear in these listings please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
We have procedures in place regarding our retention periods which we keep under review taking into account our reasons for processing your personal data and the legal basis for doing so.
Generally we don’t approve of cookies so we only allow those that are required to allow you to interact with the site and utilise the PayPal portal. We have no interest in knowing where you have come from or are going to, or how many visits you’ve made or even which pages you’ve accessed. WE are only concerned with you being able to view the pages you need to find out about The Fellsman or to enter the event.
The following cookies are used on our site:
|uvc||third party||24 hours||The uvc cookie is one of the cookies used to track usage of the Addthis.com service. It allows a user to share a webpage with many social sites. The uvc cookie holds random string values.|